Monday, May 14, 2007

BARF Revisited

I've been feeding Rambo a combination of cooked and raw for over three months now - his teeth, which used to have some yellow near the gums (he 15 months old) have turned completely white.

He had dandruff when we brought him home in December, and continued to have dandruff, no matter what I did. He does not have dandruff anymore, and his coat has gotten shiny and soft. Not only that, but he doesn't have that musky dog smell - and I haven't had to give him a bath since starting on raw.

I also waste less food, as he used to leave some kibble every day, no matter how little I gave him. Now he eats every bit and is looking for more! He's a much happier shepherd, and very active!

Some tips: give about 1/2 tsp garlic per day in your dog's food - the old wives' tail about repelling fleas is true.

I feed one strip of thick sliced bacon (raw) 1 to 3 times / week - most often once a week. The fat from the bacon has helped with softening his fur and making him look sleek and shiny.

For more info on feeding raw, please check out the Raw-lite list.

No comments: