Monday, April 9, 2007

Dog Food - To Feed or Not to Feed?

I've been reading about this BARF diet. Ok, this sounds good - dogs are canines and are supposed to eat raw meat.

I joined a wonderful group and started reading the posts. The one thing I can't do is feed my dog chicken bones - he's like a vacuum and inhales everything that is big enough to fit in his mouth! He gets raw beef, beef heart, pork, whatever I can find on sale. I mix it with his kibble two to three, sometimes four times a week. The rest of the days he gets canned mixed with kibble.

In comes 50 million recalls - or so it seems. I'm not a patient person, so I don't have the patience to look in all the store to figure out which brand has been recalled - or worse - which brand is going to be recalled tomorrow!

I see chicken thighs on sale for $0.89 / pound. Hmmm... I get to thinking. I buy them and cook 5 pounds of them. I break out my grandmother's old fashioned meat grinder - you know - the one where your arm falls off by the time you're done grinding?

I grind up all the cooked chicken - bones and all. I add a can of jack mackeral, 5 raw eggs and about two tablespoons of garlic power - mix it all up. I feed this "glop" to Rambo (not all at once, this lasted me for a week). He LOVES it.

I have been feeding Rambo a combination of cooked dinners and raw for two weeks. His coat has never looked better. His teeth had been starting to get some yellow on them, even though I fed raw meat and bones a few times a week. His cooked and raw still gets mixed with some kibble - but his teeth are now white, his coat is soft. You wouldn't believe how soft.

He's a much happier dog - and I'm a much happier mom - a side effect that I was told about, but did not believe - he poops less! He poops less because his body uses more of the food I give him, since it's not all preservatives and fillers and other junk his gut just does not process.

4 comments:

Opy - the Original GruffPuppy said...

Hey Rambo,

Welcome to www.dogswithblogs.com.au - it is great to meet you, and I am sure you will make lots of friends here :-)

Love
Opy

Unknown said...

Hi, Opy - I visited your blog and didn't see a place to leave a comment - so I hope you see this one. Thanks for the welcome! I hope your back is doing much better!

Rambo

Peanut said...

My mom belongs to that list too. She says you should try grinding up that chicken raw and feeding it. Yum Yum I say.

Unknown said...

I think I will try that next time :)

Cheryl & Rambo